Cardinal Brady apologies to abuse victimWednesday, May 9th, 2012
The Primate of All Ireland Cardinal Seán Brady has said that he wants to personally apologise to a man who was abused as a 14-year-old boy by paedophile Brendan Smyth.
Speaking on RTÉ from Lough Derg in County Donegal where he had been attending a retreat with Northern Ireland based bishops, Cardinal Brady said he wanted to, “apologise without hesitation,” to Brendan Boland, “and to any victim.”
“I offered that apology last Christmas, I offered to come and see him in person. He wanted a public apology, it didn't happen, but I repeat now that I publicly apologise to him.”
Cardinal Brady also confirmed that he would like to apologise to Brendan Boland personally, “at the earliest opportunity.”
On Tuesday afternoon, Brendan Boland issued a statement in which we thanked the Cardinal for the apology and said that one day he hoped to find the strength to accept his offer of a face-to-face meeting.
Speaking about his own future, Cardinal Brady said that he intended to remain, “until I'm 75, or unless the Holy See indicated it didn't want me to stay.” He also confirmed that there is absolutely no indication from the Vatican that it wants him to resign.
However, he said that he hoped that a Coadjutor Bishop with succession rights would be appointed to his Archdiocese as soon as possible.
Meanwhile the Children's minister Francis Fitzgerald TD has said that she is open to the Archbishop of Dublin Dr Diarmuid Martin contacting the government to outline his proposals for an independent inquiry into the crimes of Smyth that he had called for on Sunday last.
Minister Fitzgerald said that nobody in government had yet had an opportunity to discuss the merits of the proposal but she confirmed that she is open to contact from the Archbishop on the issue.
“We have not had any communication from his as yet. The question of further inquiries is one I would never rule out because we are continually surprised about what emerges.”
by Sean Ryan